Celebrating Thanksgiving with King David
Celebrating Thanksgiving with King David
- We have had a lot of people over to our house on Thanksgiving – Eating around a Ping-Pong table, playing operation – A favorite holiday that we would celebrate with my parents and often my brother Nate and his family. – to Bulgarians that were very curious about our American holiday.
- Who would you like to invite over for Thanksgiving? Paul? Peter? How about inviting King David over and learn some things about Thanksgiving from him?
- David’s Prayers of Thanksgiving
- David has quiet moments of reflection about himself and the greatness of universe resulted in praise and thanksgiving to God.
2 Sam 7:18-29
- 2 Sam 7 – A Quiet Moment Reflecting on God’s Blessings & Promises
- Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my house, that You have brought me this far? v.18
- And yet this was insignificant in Your eyes, O Lord God… v19
- You are great, O Lord God; for there is none like You, and there is no God besides You! v22
- 25 –
- “Now, O Lord God, You are God, and Your words are truth, and You have promised this good thing to Your servant. v28
- Psalm 8
- O Lord, our Lord,
- How majestic is Your name in all the earth,
- Who have displayed Your splendor above the heavens!
- 2 From the mouth of infants and nursing babes You have established strength
- Because of Your adversaries,
- To make the enemy and the revengeful cease.
- 3 When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
- The moon and the stars, which You have ordained;
- 4 What is man that You take thought of him,
- And the son of man that You care for him?
- 5 Yet You have made him a little lower than God,
- And You crown him with glory and majesty!
- 6 You make him to rule over the works of Your hands;
- You have put all things under his feet,
- 7 All sheep and oxen,
- And also the beasts of the field,
- 8 The birds of the heavens and the fish of the sea,
- Whatever passes through the paths of the seas.
- 9 O Lord, our Lord,
- How majestic is Your name in all the earth!
- Proper Thanksgiving to God must start in the heart! And then be expressed to God in prayer and time spent with God.
- Phil 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
- 1 Tim1:12 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service,
- 13 even though I was formerly a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent aggressor. Yet I was shown mercy because I acted ignorantly in unbelief;
- 14 and the grace of our Lord was more than abundant, with the faith and love which are found in Christ Jesus.
- 15 It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all.
- Hebrews 13:15 (NASB95)
- God-pleasing Sacrifices – Heb 13:15 Through Him then, let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that give thanks to His name.
- If David were to be at your house, I think he would say, Let’s take a moment of silence to just contemplate the greatness of God – Reflect on his majesty and his work in our lives, and then let’s pray to Him.
- David’s Songs of Thanksgiving
- David was a man of worship. He didn’t just keep his thanksgiving between him and God – he went public! He wrote songs, he sang songs – He worshiped God!
- Public Moments Expressing Thanksgiving for God’s Blessings. –
Psalm 138 1I will give You thanks with all my heart; I will sing praises to You before the gods. 2 I will bow down toward Your holy temple And give thanks to Your name for Your lovingkindness and Your truth; For You have magnified Your word according to all Your name. 3 On the day I called, You answered me; You made me bold with strength in my soul. 4 All the kings of the earth will give thanks to You, O Lord, When they have heard the words of Your mouth. 5 And they will sing of the ways of the Lord, For great is the glory of the Lord. 6 For though the Lord is exalted, Yet He regards the lowly, But the haughty He knows from afar. 7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me; You will stretch forth Your hand against the wrath of my enemies, And Your right hand will save me. 8 The Lord will accomplish what concerns me; Your lovingkindness, O Lord, is everlasting; Do not forsake the works of Your hands.
- Another Song of Thanksgiving
- -2 Sam 22:1-4 And David spoke the words of this song to the Lord in the day that the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul.
- 2 He said, “The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer;
- 3 My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
- My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge;
- My savior, You save me from violence.
- 4 “I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, And I am saved from my enemies.
- 1 Chron 29: 10So David blessed the LORD in the sight of all the assembly; and David said, “Blessed are You, O LORD God of Israel our father, forever and ever. 11“Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, indeed everything that is in the heavens and the earth; Yours is the dominion, O LORD, and You exalt Yourself as head over all.…
- How can you make your thanksgiving to God public?
- We may not be a songwriter like David, But can we put our whole heart and soul into thankful worship?
- Col 3:15-17 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful. Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.
Not on Powerpoint
1 Cor 14:15-16 What is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also; I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the mind also.
16 Otherwise if you bless in the spirit only, how will the one who fills the place of the ungifted say the “Amen” at your giving of thanks, since he does not know what you are saying?
John 4 – How is worship supposed to be? – In Spirit and Truth!
- Write it down? Be at worship?
- David’s Psalms of Thanksgiving
- A, David’s Psalm of Thanksgiving 1 Chron 16
- Not content to give thanks alone – he urged others to join him in the Expression of Thanksgiving for God’s Blessings.
- 1 Chron 16:8 Oh give thanks to the Lord, call upon His name;
- Make known His deeds among the peoples.
- 9 Sing to Him, sing praises to Him;
- Speak of all His wonders.
- 10 Glory in His holy name;
- Let the heart of those who seek the Lord be glad.
- 11 Seek the Lord and His strength;
- Seek His face continually.
- 12 Remember His wonderful deeds which He has done,
- His marvels and the judgments from His mouth,
(What did Jesus tell Legion? – Go out and tell what good things the Lord has done for you!)
- 23 Sing to the Lord, all the earth;
- Proclaim good tidings of His salvation from day to day.
- 24 Tell of His glory among the nations,
- His wonderful deeds among all the peoples.
- 25 For great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised;
- He also is to be feared above all gods.
- 26 For all the gods of the peoples are idols,
- But the Lord made the heavens.
- 27 Splendor and majesty are before Him,
- Strength and joy are in His place.
- 28 Ascribe to the Lord, O families of the peoples,
- Ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
- 29 Ascribe to the Lord the glory due His name;
- Bring an offering, and come before Him;
- Worship the Lord in holy array.
- 30 Tremble before Him, all the earth;
- Indeed, the world is firmly established, it will not be moved.
- 31 Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice;
- And let them say among the nations, “The Lord”
- 32 Let the sea roar, and all it contains;
- Let the field exult, and all that is in it.
- 33 Then the trees of the forest will sing for joy before the Lord;
- For He is coming to judge the earth.
- 34 O give thanks to the Lord, for He is good;
- For His lovingkindness is everlasting.
- 35 Then say, “Save us, O God of our salvation,
- And gather us and deliver us from the nations,
- To give thanks to Your holy name,
- And glory in Your praise.”
- 36 Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel,
- From everlasting even to everlasting.
- Then all the people said, “Amen,” and praised the Lord.
- Psalm 100
A Psalm for Thanksgiving.
- 1 Shout joyfully to the Lord, all the earth.
- 2 Serve the Lord with gladness;
- Come before Him with joyful singing.
- 3 Know that the Lord Himself is God;
- It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves;
- We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.
- 4 Enter His gates with thanksgiving
- And His courts with praise.
- Give thanks to Him, bless His name.
- 5 For the Lord is good;
- His lovingkindness is everlasting
- And His faithfulness to all generations.
Our Psalms and Hymns our praise to are Lord and God is received as offering of Thanksgiving!
- As David said, Oh give thanks to the Lord, call upon His name; Make known His deeds among the peoples.
- Eph 5:19-20 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; 20 always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to bGod, even the Father;
The apostle John is given a vision of worship in Heaven in Revelation 4 & 5
- Rev 4:9-11 And when the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to Him who sits on the throne, to Him who lives forever and ever,
- 10 the twenty-four elders will fall down before Him who sits on the throne, and will worship Him who lives forever and ever, and will cast their crowns before the throne, saying,
- 11 “Worthy are You, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and because of Your will they existed, and were created.”
- 5:11-14 Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne and the living creatures and the elders; and the number of them was myriads of myriads, and thousands of thousands,
- 12 saying with a loud voice,
- “Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing.”
- 13 And every created thing which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all things in them, I heard saying,
- “To Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, be blessing and honor and glory and dominion forever and ever.”
- 14 And the four living creatures kept saying, “Amen.” And the elders fell down and worshiped.
December 08, 2016